Sunday, January 2, 2011

End of an Era?



Anyone that knows me, knows that I am a die hard Cincinnati Bengals fan. I have been a season ticket holder since Marvin Lewis took over. 128 games later (60-67-1), I can't believe where the state of the organization is at. Marvin Lewis was supposed to be the savior. Cincinnati is a great football town, but has not seen a playoff victory in 2 decades. Marvin did bring 2 division titles, including a sweep of the tough AFC North last season. But a dismal loss at home to the Jets was about as ugly a game I have seen during Lewis' tenure. On to 2010, the Bengals updgraded via draft and free agency by adding offensive weapons in Terrell Owens, Jermaine Gresham and Jordan Shipley. If you would have told me the Bengals would finish 4-12 after the T.O. acquisition, I would have bet my house on it.....
Good thing I didn't!!

Fast forward to January 2, 2011:
The Bengals lost to Baltimore 13-7, and had plenty of opportunities to beat the playoff bound Ravens, yet Carson Palmer continued his turnover-prone season. There were some bright spots, including potential wider receiver replacements in Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell.

After today, the Bengals have some huge personnel decisions to make, including coaching positions. T.O. was signed to a 1 year deal, Ocho, is due a $6 million option that the team can decline. Carson is making $15+ million a year to be mediocre, Cedric Benson's contract is up, and Marvin Lewis' contract expired after the game was over.

As much as I hate to say it, the organization, led by dumbass Mike Brown will find a way to take 2 steps backwards, rather than forward. Only time will tell, but I do hope to see Chad Ochocinco back in stripes. He has been the best thing the city of Cincinnati has had in a long, long time. Although, the man does deserve to go win a ring somewhere.

With 2011 just beginning, the Cincinnati Bengals have a lot of question marks heading into the off season, and I am anxious to see what happens.

Only time will tell....

No comments: